Critiques update/other news

If you’re waiting on me for a full manuscript critique, I’m hoping to get back to several people this week as I finish up loose ends on a number of projects, and even more loose ends on several short projects. If you don’t hear back from me on your full manuscript this week (those of you who I’ve said I will get back to this week will hear from me, no worries), you will probably get feedback next week.

In other news, this week is BYU’s Writing for Young Readers conference. I’m not involved with it this year, but I’ve heard a lot of excited chatter from people who will be attending, so I hope those who do go will have fun and learn a lot from people like Tracy and Laura Hickman and Greenwillow editor Martha Mihalick.

The weather has been so beautifully mild for the last few weeks, I’m wondering if I brought Seattle weather with me, as I always do when I travel to Utah. I thought that trend would end with me moving here, but perhaps not!

I am off to get back to work on the edits I owe several writers, so have a good week!

A little more info, but not much

If you’re my friend on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter, you will know that I’ve revealed the big secret I’ve been keeping: That I’m starting a small press with a friend. I don’t feel ready to give many details about it yet because I’m still working on the website and a variety of details related to the business side of things, but I did want to give you a little more information, so as not to be all teasing about it. I just don’t want to count any chickens, etc. — so I can only give you the bare bones until I have something I can point people to.

I’ve been considering this possibility for years — it’s actually been a dream of mine since perhaps college or a few years after I graduated. When I was laid off from Mirrorstone, I looked for a job in New York City publishing, but I was laid off right before all the layoffs were starting there, which meant that what few job openings were still around were hard to come by, and most other places were either in a hiring freeze or preparing for possible layoffs. I moved to Utah to freelance while I figured out what my next step was. I considered becoming an agent, which is a common path for editors in my position, but that didn’t feel right either.

In the mean time, as you know if you read this blog, I’ve been critiquing manuscripts directly for authors, teaching the occasional community writing seminar (remember: worldbuilding seminar at the end of this month!), and providing freelance editorial services to a variety of publishers — mostly copyediting and proofreading. But even the freelancing is drying up these days — as publishers cut back, they pull all their freelance services in-house, piling more work on the editors they still have left. I enjoy helping new writers, but I like seeing the whole process, having the end result of a printed book to share with readers. I love being an in-house editor.

I’m still sending submissions to Tor — and am still looking for agented submissions for that, and for books by authors with whom I’ve worked in the past (including requesting a full manuscript or revisions) — but that isn’t a full-time thing.

One of the issues in fantasy publishing in the last six months or so have been about how fantasy is typically white, and it’s gotten me thinking (and plotting) about doing something more specific within that particular segment of the market. Racefail, especially, got me thinking about how children’s and YA fantasy and science fiction, while we’re working on becoming more representative of the readers, still don’t always reach the kids from various multicultural backgrounds. (Don’t even get me started on the all-white casting of the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie.) Most of the kids I know who love fantasy are white/of a European Caucasian descent, and no wonder, because they are the kids most likely to identify with the characters in children’s and YA fantasy. But how can we reach Latino kids? Do Asian-American kids identify with most of the fantasy that’s out there? Don’t kids of all kinds of backgrounds read many non-Western stories, and can’t those stories be told in a way that reaches a wide range of modern American kids? There are some great books out there that do this–and I want to contribute to making more of them possible.

I love all sorts of fantasy, including fantasy with white characters, whether or not it’s inclusive of multiculturalism. But there’s so much already out there, and I got to wondering how we might be able to bring what is currently a niche market (most multicultural books are nonfiction or realism) and combine it with the adventure, romance, magic, forward-thinking, and all the other awesome things that fantasy and science fiction provide to readers, bringing out more stories with characters of all sorts of cultural backgrounds.

So that’s the thinking behind the small press — publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction. I’ve been working on a business plan, with all the intricacies involved in that, with a business partner (who is also a good friend) who cares about these things as well. We’ve got a site reserved and are working on submission guidelines, and we’re working on a number of processes necessary to starting the business. In addition to the publishing part of the business, we’ve also got a lot of ideas about how to get involved in the community, locally and throughout the country. We want to be a force for good not only in awareness of the issues, but in just bringing good books out to all sorts of readers no matter what their cultural inspiration. Once we have those things in place, I’ll be able to tell you more details like what kinds of stories we’re looking for and how to submit, and where to submit to, and all those things that you’ll want to know. I will continue to critique individual authors’ work and freelancing until we make an official announcement about what we’re looking for.

It takes a lot of money to start a publishing company, even a small press, no matter how important the cause. With that in mind, I’ve added a button on the sidebar for anyone who believes in what we’re doing and would like to donate to the effort. It’s not by any means something I’ll push–this will be my last mention of it in the blog — I just thought that if anyone was interested and wanted to, I’d make the option available. If you also believe in expanding fantasy and science fiction to be more inclusive, please consider helping out. All donations will go into the capital fund for the small press.

Hope that answers at least a few questions about what we’re hoping to do, at least until we have an official company presence on the web to direct you to.

New seminar: Worldbuilding in MG/YA science fiction and fantasy

I have a confirmed date, time, and place for our next local seminar on writing fantasy for children and young adults. This time we’re going to focus specifically on worldbuilding–how it’s different for younger audiences (and how it’s the same as worldbuilding you might hear about in adult books), how to really hit the right tone with the audience you’re seeking to reach, how to use key details to flesh out your setting, how to use worldbuilding to create character, support the plot, and make your world come alive!

Here’s the skinny:

Provo Library, Provo, UT
Bullock Room 309
1-5 p.m.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Deadline: June 19

Cost: $45 for individuals (the increase in price is because I reserved the room for another hour, so we have plenty of time to workshop)
$35 for groups of five or more (make sure when you register to tell me who is in your group, or at least tell me who the “group leader” is)

We’ve got a bigger room this time, so be sure to tell your friends and anyone who might be interested–instead of being limited to 24 people, we can have 30-40 (I won’t want to get bigger than that, because we want to have a good number of people who want to workshop to be able to read).

On the day of the seminar, be sure to bring a sample from your current work in progress. It does not have to be the first chapter! Whatever section you think is the best representative of your worldbuilding and/or that you want the most help in creating a sense of worldbuilding: that’s the section to bring.

As with the previous seminar, we’ll start with me lecturing a little, giving you information on the topic and plenty of examples from great books. Then we’ll start workshopping! You don’t *have* to share your own work, but you’ll get a professional editor’s opinion on how you might improve a particular aspect of your story, and great feedback from all the rest of the people in the class, too.

My intern will be helping me with registration, so the directions for registration are a little different this time. As before, if you want to pay via PayPal, send the payment to me at stacylwhitman AT gmail DOT com, but then send an email to Chersti at cjstapley AT gmail DOT com, giving her the following information:

Name
Address
Phone number
Email
The one thing you’re most hoping to learn about from this class (this helps me to gauge the learning levels of everyone in the class so I can tailor the seminar to the people who are attending)

Note that my email is down, so I won’t be able to answer any questions today until it comes back up. But Chersti will confirm registration, and once I receive the payment I’ll notify her and she’ll keep track of who has paid, confirming with you that we got your payment.

Also, watch that deadline! If I don’t have enough registrants (I need at least 10 people registered to make it worth the room rental), we’ll cancel. But I don’t think we need to worry about that–just a head’s-up to let you know that we need at least a certain number of registrants for it to happen. We’ll have plenty of room for everyone, but you’ll want to register early so that I know you’re coming.

On e-books, the distribution chain, the Amazonian monster, and all that other fun stuff

Over at Booksquare last week Kassia had an excellent post on what consumers are looking for in the pricing of ebooks, in which she took a devil’s advocate role in saying that perhaps it’s good that Amazon is creating this expectation that an ebook shouldn’t cost more than $9.99. It wasn’t even so much her post as some of the comments that frustrated me, because they have at least a ring of some comments that I’ve seen recently and not-so-recently about how publishing needs a change and how the big bad greedy publishers are trying to take away people’s hard-earned money, and that they deserve what they get during this economic downturn.

I replied rather obliquely to the topic at hand, mostly frustrated at the whole situation we’re in here rather than at Kassia’s post, and conversation ensued. I went back and read several responses and started to respond there, but it turned pretty long, so I made it into a post here instead. My original comment bascially outlined how much Amazon takes as a percentage–usually 55%, but sometimes up to 70%, which seems highway robbery to me, especially when you’re talking about e-books which don’t require the shipping and handling and warehousing that print books do. Publishers are often in a hard spot when it comes to pricing because they make so little money once the distributor gets their cut, the author gets their cut, and PPB (paper, printing, and binding) are accounted for. The 20%-35% of the pie that they’re left with has to cover staff salaries (editors, art directors, marketing people, design, typesetting, admin, etc.), overhead (and even if they’re not in a New York City office, that can run high), marketing, public relations, and any freelance costs like copyediting and proofreading that might come up.

Despite the frustrated tone of my response in the comments, I agree with Kassia that the pricing of ebooks is a sticky situation and that they really should be relatively low-priced, especially on platforms like the Kindle on which your books could go up in a puff of smoke one day simply because Amazon decided you were returning too many physical books. I’m not sure what the solution to that is for the whole industry, though I’m with her on how many small presses are making it work. (There are quite a few things a small press can do more efficiently than a large conglomerate, and I’ve heard from a number of readers of e-books that small presses tend to look to the details of e-books more carefully.) I’ve been reading a lot of opinions across the board on this, and in general, I also agree that the e-book shouldn’t be priced higher than a paperback. I know I’d never pay hardcover price for an ebook.

It’s just that there can be some very frustrating factors going on behind the scenes in the distribution chain that publishers have little control over (at least, maybe the big ones do, but not most medium to small publishers).

As far as the publishing industry needing a complete “redo” as some have said in the comments (and others have said a lot more vehemently and with more rancor elsewhere), I’m not sure that’s really hitting it quite right. Though we are in the midst of a major transition, that’s for sure. I personally think that publishing houses need to no longer be owned by even larger conglomerates that demand financial returns that historically no publisher has ever achieved without compromising and becoming more and more commercial. (I do not use “commercial” as a bad word, but with further commercialization comes the question of whether “quiet” books should be published or marketed.) Bookstores are in a major shift, not only with all the indies closing left and right but also with Borders on the brink and the the bestseller short-sale/loss leader mentality in most chains that loses the long-term midlist. And e-books are shaking things up. And I could rant about Amazon the whole live-long day–especially the way they demand things of small presses who don’t have the negotiating power that the conglomerates have.

Publishing has a history of consolidating and breaking apart. Some of the best small presses (who are now imprints of other publishers or pretty large) came out of contractions in the industry–they were able to adapt and innovate in ways that the bigger behemoths couldn’t. Tor, Greenwillow, Holiday House… perhaps another Greenwillow or Tor might rise from the ashes of all this shaking up. Who’s to say that this isn’t just a natural part of the economic cycle of publishing? Yet it feels bigger than that. Perhaps because I’m living through it rather than reading about it in Ursula Nordstrom’s biography.

But what good books will always need is that sifting that comes from the editorial process. I’ve heard many people (usually people who don’t understand the industry, and certainly not Kassia!) who say that editors deserve to get fired/laid off in all of this (I’ve even seen on a listserv someone comment on MY layoff from my last full-time job, saying that because I said at a conference that I didn’t want picture books or talking animals–we didn’t publish them–that I deserved to be fired). I really don’t think that’s true–in the latter case, even if I do say so myself. I also don’t think that the editors left behind just need to become “more efficient” at their jobs, at which they’re usually already overworked–most of the people left after all the latest layoffs are taking on orphaned books and their workload has increased from an already heavy load.

Publishing simply isn’t an efficient industry. It takes time to edit a book. It takes time to market it, and that marketing is very word-of-mouth oriented due to the nature of books. It’s an art and a business, and by its very nature, tends to take up a lot of input for little financial reward (except outliers like J.K. Rowling).

Perhaps the current crisis and the laying off of all these people involved with the making of the books–not just editors, but marketing and sales staff, art staff, managing editorial staff, production people, and so forth–will lead to fewer books being published, which might be a good thing when looking at the industry as a whole due to the number of books published every year, but that still leaves us with the problem of the further homogenization of the market, given the concurrent bestseller mentality. But I still don’t think that justifies people losing their jobs. I’d go so far as to say that I *like* that there are so many good books published every year (despite the low quality at the long tail, especially with many self-published books)

Sometimes the frustration of the whole distribution chain makes me want to tear my hair out.

I know this post is circular, but so are my thoughts on the issue. How do we fix this chain of frustration? Perhaps taking the power back from Amazon will help. More direct sales to readers? How do you drive traffic so readers even know about your books? etc. etc. So many factors involved, that perhaps I shouldn’t try to tackle at nearly 1 in the morning after a long weekend. Definitely quality–and becoming known for that quality–is one of the most important things, as Kassia mentioned in her comment related to the small presses. But I think there’s still something else, something I feel like I’m missing in all of this. Perhaps it will come to me if I just get to bed like I planned to two hours ago!

Ramblings when I should be off reading the Maze Runner ARC or sleeping

Not really much to post about. I had a great time at Conduit seeing friends and talking books. Very nice Schlock Mercenary launch party, for which I dropped in and took some pictures. I’ll be downloading those straight to Sandra, who will probably post them on her LJ or Howard’s blog or both. I’m not terribly satisfied with the pictures–it was pretty dark in that room and I had to use flash, which always flattens the subject–but hopefully the Taylers and Schlock fans will enjoy them.

Went on my first bike ride of the year and it was nice, but I probably should have started with a jaunt closer to home, because while the outbound trip was awesome, I realized just why that was on the way home when the wind hit me squarely in the face. Between the wind (it was pretty blustery), my sore behind from not being in the saddle for six months, and being tired from the ride out, I ended up getting off and walking at least twice. I’m thinking I’ll take a rest day tomorrow and try again on Wednesday, but not try a total of about 7-8 miles round trip. Perhaps 2-3 total for a few days, to get back in the swing of things!

Had my own personal Bones marathon today, watching all the episodes from this season that I’d missed and had been recording on the DVR. Maybe if I clear out the DVR I won’t feel so bad about dropping the cable, which I’m really going to have to do. Also went to a barbecue at a friend’s, and thought about all my family members and others who have served in the military. I come from a long line of farmers, salt of the earth kind of people, and as you can imagine those are the type that tend to get drafted. (I also descend from one draft-dodger, and I’m grateful he did, or I wouldn’t have been born a Whitman, I suppose–he stowed away on a cattle boat to avoid the draft of William the First and Bismarck, the Second Reich that killed off a great number of Prussian peasants, and came to the US, to Illinois, and became my great-great-grandfather.) I have ancestors who served on both sides of the Civil War, including one who was on Sherman’s March to the sea, several vets of the War of 1812 (another reason I’m an Illinoisan–western Illinois was veteran pension land-grant land for War of 1812 vets), vets of several minor skirmishs, two grandfathers and a great-uncle who served in the army and air force, respectively, during WWII, and an uncle who fought in Vietnam.

More recently, I have an uncle who served in the Marines during peacetime (during the 70s) and an uncle who just retired from the Air Force as a navigator a few years ago. That same Uncle Kevin served two or three tours post-September 11th as a translator. My brother and several cousins have served in the reserves wherever needed. I have several friends who have done tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and several friends whose husbands are currently or who have been deployed.

I wouldn’t consider my family a “military” family. Far from it. We’re just average working Americans, and each of these people served when they were called to do so, or even just to find a better life through the GI Bill. But it makes me proud of them to know that they served when they were needed, even if they occasionally did so a bit cantankerously. The cantankerousness–that’s just a Whitman family trait. 🙂

Back to real life tomorrow, catching up again on those short pieces I didn’t get to yet last week, and two manuscripts that I have waiting in the queue as well. I’ve got a few other things going on this week that I’m excited about but can’t talk about yet, so when I can, well, I guess I’ll drop the mystery and post it. 🙂 Off to sleep!

Provo Book Festival (& other recent events, including a reading cat)

Well, now that I’ve gotten my camera back up (I killed the battery Saturday, forgetting to upload the pictures while it was still hooked up for hours, and now I’ve finally gotten back to it), I will share with you some of the fun things that happened at the Provo Book Festival. I was really impressed. This was the first time I’ve been to it, though I’ve heard good things about it for a few years, and I must say, it was really cool to see how the kids who came were so excited to get involved with books, to see their favorite authors speak, and to be able to get books signed by them. There had to have been twenty or so local authors involved, and several illustrators as well.

I’m trying out this “insert gallery” option. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try individual pictures. We’ll see!

ETA: Whoops! I’m fixing it!

Okay, to purge the photo files, before we get to the festival, here are some shots from the recent book signing by Carol Lynch Williams, at which she read a portion of her book, The Chosen One, as well. I have an ARC and can’t wait to read it. Just have to catch up on work first!

Carol Lynch Williams reads at her booksigning Carol Lynch Williams reads at her booksigning Carol Lynch Williams reads at her booksigningCarol Lynch Williams reads at her booksigning Carol Lynch Williams at her booksigning

At Carol Lynch Williams's booksigning provo-book-festival-013 provo-book-festival-017 provo-book-festival-019

Notice how Cheri Earl (Carol’s partner in crime on many endeavors, most notably the BYU Writing for Young Readers conference every June) must either make a face at me for taking her picture, or turn away. It’s all a ploy to show off her cute hair.

Mogget likes to read, too.

Mogget likes to read, too.

Now, on to the festival! They had a puppet show for the kids (the farmer’s animals kept making all the wrong noises! cats baaing, cows meowing–what is a poor farmer to do? turns out he forgot to read their owner’s manual.) Shannon and Dean Hale performed an interpretive dance of their collaboration project, and authors who signed books all afternoon include Emily Wing Smith, Aprilynne Pike, Brandon Mull, Brandon Sanderson, James Dashner, Carol Lynch Williams, Mette Ivie Harrison, Jessica Day George, Shannon and Dean Hale, and many, many others.

provo-book-festival-022 provo-book-festival-024 provo-book-festival-025 provo-book-festival-026 provo-book-festival-027 provo-book-festival-028 provo-book-festival-029 provo-book-festival-030 provo-book-festival-031 provo-book-festival-032 provo-book-festival-034 provo-book-festival-039 provo-book-festival-042 provo-book-festival-044 provo-book-festival-046 provo-book-festival-047 provo-book-festival-049 provo-book-festival-050 provo-book-festival-051 provo-book-festival-052

The end. Say good night, Mogget.

provo-book-festival-053 provo-book-festival-054

Good night, Mogget!

My Conduit schedule, and other interesting goings-on that weekend

Note that Howard Tayler of Schlock Mercenary is the Guest of Honor at this year’s Conduit. Along with that, the Taylers are hosting a book launch party at the show for the latest Schlock book. Head on over to Howard’s site for all the details.

For you YA-type and writer-type people, here are some interesting panels that I won’t be on (the schedule isn’t final yet, from what I can tell, but here’s the latest info–go to Conduit’s site to be sure of the very latest news). (Also note that there will be a lot of geeky fun for all sorts of fannish things, which I won’t list here. Go look at the Conduit site for more info.)

Friday, May 22

• Noon: Grammar, schmammar: When to follow the rules. And when to break them. (Michael R. Collings, Dave Wolverton, Kathleen Dalton Woodbury, Lee Allred, Anne Wingate, Berin Stephens)
  • 2:00 PM: How do you write a great “evil overlord”? (Clint Johnson, Ann Sharp, Roger White, Dave Wolverton, Howard Tayler)
  • 3:00 PM: Culture-Building in F&SF: How Do You Create a Viable and Consistent Culture? (John Brown, Lee Modesitt, Roger White, Dave Wolverton, Elisabeth Waters, Brandon Sanderson)
  • 5:00 PM: Howard Tayler Main Address: Practice Makes Perfect (I find it odd they have so many other things going on during the main address, but I’m new to this con, so… what do I know?)
  • 6:00 PM: Howard and Sandra Tayler Part 1: Structuring Creativity to Get Stuff Done Howard and Sandra will discuss how they structure their lives to fit all the business tasks, creative tasks, and family tasks into each day and into one house. They will also discuss how things worked differently in the earlier stages of their creative life and how they expect things to change in the years to come.

Saturday, May 23

• 11 AM The Stenchless Chamberpot – how real should historical fiction or fantasy be?
  • (Ann Chamberlin, Jessica Day George, Clint Johnson, Robert J Defend, Dave Wolverton, Karen Webb)
  • Noon Howard and Sandra Tayler Part 2: The Nuts and Bolts of Running a Creative Business. Howard and Sandra will discuss the inner workings of their business and all the tasks necessary to keep it going. Accounting, Marketing, Networking, Shipping, Printing, and Comic Creation will all be discussed.
  • 3 PM The Twilight Books Phenomenon. Why are so many girls (and women) reading Stephenie Meyer?
  • (James Dashner, Nathan Shumate, Kathleen Dalton Woodbury, Suzy Gehring) I love that they have two guys on this panel about why girls and women are reading Stephenie Meyer!
  • 4-7 PM Howard Tayler Book Launch Party and Signing (Con Suite)
  • 4 PM The science of evil: why are villains the way they are (John Brown, Ann Sharp, Nathan Shumate, Eric Swedin, JoSelle Vanderhooft, Dan Wells)
  • 5 PM Main address–Dave Wolverton

Sunday, May 24

• 10 AM Writing Red Herrings. Red herrings are standard in mysteries, but how can you be sure yours works? (Ann Chamberlin, Ann Sharp, Anne Wingate, Elisabeth Waters,Lee Modesitt, Paul Genesse)
  • 2 PM My Favorite Books. What books are writers reading? (Jessica Day George, Howard Tayler, Paul Genesse, Brandon Sanderson, Lee Allred)

And here’s my schedule. Note that one of the panels will be on worldbuilding for children and YA, so you’ll have a chance to get a taste of my opinions for the class I’m planning for June.

Friday, May 22

• 3:00 PM What is a YA/MG editor/publisher looking for? (James Dashner, Mette Ivie Harrison, Julie Wright, Stacy Whitman, Dan Willis)
  • 4:00 PM It’s not your parents’ fiction. Writing for the YA/Children’s Market (James Dashner, Mette Ivie Harrison, Julie Wright, Stacy Whitman, Brandon Sanderson, Heather Horrock)

Saturday, May 23

• Noon What can writers learn from Harry Potter? (Suzy Gehring, Stacy Whitman, Kathleen Dalton-Woodbury, Eric James Stone, Jason Anderson, Brandon Sanderson)
  • 2 PM How to publish and market your YA/MG book (James Dashner, Mette Ivie Harrison, Rebecca Shelley, Julie Wright, Dan Willis, Stacy Whitman, Sandra Tayler) (I don’t know about the other panelists, but I’m coming to this one to talk about marketing, because there are several other panels already about the publishing side of things.)
  • 4 PM “The next . . .” Publishers are looking for the next Harry Potter or Twilight. How can you get your book sold in spite of overblown expectations? (Mette Ivie Harrison, Julie Wright, Aprilynne Pike, Stacy Whitman, Robert J Defendi, Lee Modesitt)
  • 6 PM Worldbuilding for YA/MG writers (Stacy Whitman, Mette Ivie Harrison, Jessica Day George, Dan Willis, Aleta Clegg)

I think that’s all of mine. If all else fails, look at the schedule to be sure.

New class planned for early June, more local events

I don’t have a date pinned down yet, but I’m planning to do another community seminar in early June: Worldbuilding in Fantasy and Science Fiction for Children and Young Adults. Writing fantasy and SF for children and YA is different than writing it for adults because of that added children’s/YA component: it’s a whole different readership and market that you’re writing for. So we’ll talk about how important worldbuilding is, how to use concrete details to create a world without bogging down your prose, and a number of related topics. This will be a more nitty-gritty, in-depth kind of seminar compared to the last one, but we’ll build on the format of talking first of principles, looking at examples, and then workshopping with each class member’s work in progress, so be thinking about the sample you want the most worldbuilding help with (or perhaps better put as your *best* worldbuilding example, so we can discuss both what you’re doing right–which will help your classmates–and where you might be able to improve).

Come prepared for an afternoon of lots of tips and the give and take of constructive feedback. Plan on it costing $45 for individuals or $35 each for groups of 5 or more–I’ll give you a link and more information when I pin down a date and time. I’ll also be handing out handouts for it at Conduit next weekend, so if you’ll be heading to that convention and want to get a group together, you can hand me your registration forms and payment right there at the con.

I’ll post here and on my Seminars page when I’ve pinned down a firm date, hopefully sometime in the next week or so.

Also, don’t forget that the Provo Children’s Book Festival is this Saturday from 11 to 4 down at the Provo Public Library. The Utah children’s writer community is quite large, so look for Brandon Mull, Shannon Hale, Jessica Day George, Nate Hale, Mette Harrison, Aprilynne Pike, Ann Dee Ellis, Emily Wing Smith, Will Terry, Ann Cannon, Carol Lynch Williams, James Dashner… the list goes on and on.

Which reminds me that I need to remember to take my copy of Rapunzel’s Revenge with me to get it signed!

Speaking of Carol Lynch Williams, her new book, The Chosen One, is out today. I was just at the local B&N (okay, it’s been a few hours now) and got to hear her read from it. Intriguing, and I can’t wait to read it. It’s about a girl in a polygamous colony who is told that she must marry her uncle. Carol has some great blurbs from some really great authors–Meg Cabot, Gregory Macguire, Cynthia Kadohata, Kathi Appelt… and some great reviews. You also might know Carol from BYU Writing for Young Readers, which she runs with the inestimable Cheri Earl.

So, to sum up: Provo Children’s Book Festival this Saturday! Conduit next weekend–Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, May 22-24! Worldbuilding class coming sometime in June! See you then! I’m out, and taking all my exclamation points with me!

(Good night.)

LDS Storymakers wrap-up

I also didn’t get a chance earlier this week to post about my experience at the LDS Storymakers conference, which I attended as a guest editor last Friday and Saturday. I spent much of my days in one-on-ones with authors, and the rest of the time I was out chatting with the conference participants and just talking to everyone in general.

I’d heard of this conference before, but hadn’t really paid attention to it. After all–or so I thought–it was only for authors working in the LDS market, a niche here in Utah. (It’s a worldwide niche through catalog and online sales and independent LDS bookstores that often operate in cities near LDS temples, but the bulk of the market is in the Intermountain West, through the LDS chain bookstores Deseret Book and Seagull Book and Tape.)

What I didn’t know was that in the last few years, the Storymakers have been expanding to include LDS writers in all markets, whether the LDS market or a more national market. Writers like Shannon Hale, Stephenie Meyer, Brandon Sanderson, Dave Wolverton, James Dashner, Jessica Day George, and many others have been honored by the Storymakers with their Whitney Awards recently (as nominees and winners), and the conference itself focuses more on craft than marketing, so the lessons about, well, storymaking, can be applied to whatever niche an author writes for.

While the conference does seem mostly geared for beginning to intermediate writers, I noticed that there’s a lot of networking opportunity for more experienced writers as well–it was great to see the number of published writers who were there giving back by volunteering for the committee, teaching a class, or helping out with the running of the bookstore. There were multiple book signings every day, and the bookstore was packed full of books by LDS authors in a number of markets.

I must say, it was one of the most well-organized, well-staffed conferences that I’ve ever participated in. It ranks right up there with BYU Writing for Young Readers (though Storymakers is for every genre–adult, children’s, LDS, secular, fantasy, realism, nonfiction, and so forth). And they’ve been growing–apparently they had something like 100 more people registered this year than they did last).

And of course, while BYU Writing for Young Readers is for a more general audience of writers, note that Storymakers is very definitely a venue for authors who are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I’m sure they wouldn’t kick you out if you weren’t LDS! By any means! But it’s very much a cultural affair, an event that embraces Mormon culture, prays at sit-down meals, and welcomes references to church, being LDS, and all of the attendant topics that go with that. And I believe the Whitneys are only open to Mormon writers. It’s a safe place for LDS writers to come together with their fellows and discuss that intersection between the arts and religion that can sometimes get misunderstood on both secular and religious sides (just one example pulled from recent headlines would be Deseret Book’s pulling of the Twilight series from their bookstore shelves recently because of “mixed reviews”).

It was great to see how they do a first chapter contest every year too, honoring those who have been working hard at their writing. I’d like to see a “later-chapter” or something like that contest, too, though–sometimes a first chapter, no matter how good, is all that has been written in that book! I’d like to see something to encourage people to not only write the first chapter, but to keep going to the second, third, and so on. (One might argue that the encouragement is all the recognition of people at the conference who have just gotten book deals, and the awards given out by one writers’ group honoring the person with the most rejections from that year, though! The thinking goes that if you’re getting rejected a lot, it’s because you’re getting your work out there. One also hopes that those rejections are coming not because the rejectee just blasted everyone with their work, whether it was a good fit or not, but that comes from the cynical side of this editor who saw way too many picture books even when the submission guidelines said NO PICTURE BOOKS.)

The part that had me choked up the most: the Whitney awards. I never knew that they were named for LDS church apostle Orson F. Whitney, who championed “Mormon” literature and gave one of the best talks I’ve seen on the subject (note to my non-Mormon readers: it’s a talk very much aimed at early Mormons, kind of sexist in its speech compared to modern-day conventions; just remember that it was given in 1888). He said:

Our literature must live and breathe for itself. Our mission is diverse from all others; our literature must also be. . . . We will yet have Miltons and Shakespeares of our own.

I really appreciated how the Whitneys are set up to honor those “Miltons and Shakespeares of our own.” It was great to see good friends and some authors I’d just met over the course of the conference be honored for the quality of their writing. Congrats to James Dashner, Brandon Sanderson, Heather Moore [edited to fix the right last name–sorry, Heather!], and several others who won Whitney awards in their categories. It’s a little corner of the world, but it’s nice to see how it’s been growing.

Anyway, if you’re LDS and a writer, it’s a great conference. Check it out come next year.